Summer 2022 High School Credit Recovery Briefing
Summer 2022 High School Credit Recovery Briefing
Counselors, Administrators and Site Facilitators
Notice to students and parents: This information is intended for distribution to public school districts and may contain details that do not apply to your local district’s program. If you are interested in enrolling in credit recovery courses with Montana Digital Academy, your first contact should be to the counseling department or administration of your local school to discuss what is available locally. Credit recovery courses are not available to students independent of a school-based credit recovery program.
On June 14, 2021, the MTDA Governing Board exercised its authority granted by MCA 20-7-1202 to begin cost-sharing with districts. This applies to the MTDA credit recovery program. Before enrolling any student for the upcoming term, please review our information page regarding payment: link.
- A PO number will be requested upon enrollment for billing.
There are two different formats for late spring CR enrollments (after March 17th):
This briefing document is intended for schools wanting to run a summer credit recovery school-based program. If you are looking for late Spring enrollment that DOES NOT include a summer program please review the SY2022-23 Credit Recovery Briefing Document.
We strongly urge you to review this entire page, even if you have previous experience in administering and/or supporting MTDA credit recovery programs at your local school.
- All Summer 2022 Credit Recovery enrollments will have an end date of July 29, 2022, at 1:00 pm. (Note: this differs from the typical 55 days enrollment during the school year term).
- ALL credit recovery courses are broken down into parts. Students need to take, and pass, both “Part 1” and “Part 2” of the course to qualify for the recommendation of a semester credit. Each “part” course enrollment will have a cost-share fee of $61.50. Additional cost-sharing information is located on our cost-sharing page.
- Any enrollments that have not finished by the July 29th deadline will be dropped. Students can be re-enrolled on 9/6/2022 (with a new $61.50 cost-share fee) and can pick up where they left off in the course.
- MTDA will run its Summer 2022 Credit Recovery program with the same live grading services as in the past.
- Students enrolled in the credit recovery program will need to complete all assessments in the school-based proctoring environment, as in the past.
- We expect schools will utilize the Summer 2022 credit recovery term to help with students that need credit during the late Spring. We welcome these enrollments, but, please make sure these are students that you intend to participate in the program during the summer. (If you have late spring student enrollments who will not be participating in the summer they should be enrolled in the SY2022-23 Credit Recovery Term)
- SUMMER SURVEY REQUIRED FOR SUMMER PROGRAM: Before Friday, May 13, 2022, PLEASE be sure to fill out our program survey if you are delivering credit recovery program options in your local school this summer. This will assist us in planning and also allow MTDA to direct summer inquiries from our teaching and support staff to the appropriate person during the summer. That survey is here:
SUMMER 2022 CREDIT RECOVERY SURVEY
- Summer does not lessen the requirement for local school support. All assessments MUST be locally proctored to qualify for the delivery of credit, with no exceptions. If a student can not be present on your campus, they do not qualify for credit recovery services.
- Enrollment begins: Thursday, March 17, 2022. Until the summer staffing model begins, our credit recovery teaching pool will continue to do “next school day” grading. “Next school day” grading ends June 3, 2022.
- Summer staffing begins: Monday, June 13, 2022. ** We understand that many schools would like to start their credit recovery program before June 13. However, we cannot start earlier as most of our teachers are under contract with their local school until the week of June 6th. This means they cannot work live shifts during the school day.
- Last day to enroll: Monday, July 25, 2022 (This is later than in the past to allow maximum flexibility, but the student needs to be complete by the end date of July 29, 2022, at 1:00 pm or they will be dropped. The student can be re-enrolled on September 6, 2022, with a new $61.50 cost-sharing fee and the student can pick up where they left off.)
- Last day for Summer 2022: Friday, July 29, 2022, at 1 pm OR THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL-BASED LOCAL SUPPORT (if earlier). It is the school’s responsibility to communicate the calendar to your students and parents. Please drop any student that is incomplete after your local school program ends for the summer.
- There are no extensions or late finishes. The student can be re-enrolled on September 6, 2022, with a new $61.50 cost-sharing fee and the student can pick up where they left off.
- All students new to the MTDA credit recovery program must complete the mandatory Orientation program. The program is called “Credit Recovery Orientation” in GeniusSIS and must receive a “pass” to enroll in content-specific programs. The orientation is open now. Once a student takes and completes the orientation, they do not need to complete it again. There is no cost-sharing fee for the orientation course.
- The orientation program is approximately 2-3 hours of engagement time, dependent on student skill, reading level, and motivation. Students that do not complete the orientation in a reasonable amount of time should be considered high need enrollments and provided additional direct support locally.
- Please review our student registration page in the Site Facilitator handbook for information on data collection and student registration. That document is here: link.
To facilitate forward progression of summer program students, MTDA will adapt our labor model to provide live coaching services during most of the school day. Our teaching staff will work to turn around mastery assignments as quickly as possible in the order they are received.
We will provide those services from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday-Friday.
MTDA offers our core catalog of most-requested classes in the summer format. ALL credit recovery courses are broken down into parts. Students need to take, and pass, both “Part 1” and “Part 2” of the course to qualify for the recommendation of a semester credit.
- English I A
- English I B
- English II A
- English II B
- English III A
- English III B
- English IV A
- English IV B
- Earth Science A
- Earth Science B
- Biology A
- Biology B
- Geography A
- Geography B
- World History A
- World History B
- US History A
- US History B
- Government A
- Government B
- Pre-Algebra A
- Pre-Algebra B
- Algebra I A
- Algebra I B
- Geometry A
- Geometry B
- Algebra II A
- Algebra II B
- Health (One Semester)
Program Planning Notes
Time Commitment: The summer program is the same format and curriculum as the school year, utilizing a mastery-based learning environment to provide a flexible but rigorous environment. Based on statistics and analysis from Fall and Spring data, courses take the typical student 50-60 hours to complete the summer program and format, though we do see extremes in both directions. Students that come to the program with below grade-level reading skills or self-regulation may take much longer. The course requirements are not negotiable.
End of Semester Information and Procedures
The Summer 2022 High School Credit Recovery program ends on Friday, July 29, 2022, at 1 pm. Please view the steps below for local support and/or site facilitators to help MTDA close out the semester.
If you have any student enrolled in a credit recovery course that is no longer attending school, inactive, or otherwise not going to finish up, please put in a drop request for those students as soon as possible. This action helps the MTDA staff focus our attention on active students attempting to finish up the course.
SECOND, please note that a student must complete an entire course (Part 1 + Part 2) to qualify for a credit recommendation from MTDA. MTDA teachers or support staff are not able to excuse assignments due to pending deadlines.