Spring 2017 High School Original Credit Briefing
Counselors, Administrators and Site Facilitators
Notice to students and parents: This information is intended for distribution through districts and may contain details that do not apply to your local district’s program. If you are interested in enrolling in courses with Montana Digital Academy, your first contact should be with the counseling department or administration of your local school to discuss what is available locally.
Montana Digital Academy is pleased to announce open enrollment for its Spring 2017 program for high school original credit. Note: This information is accurate at the time of publication. We will make changes to this page as details change.
As a reminder to enrolling schools, MTDA is funded to serve students through their Montana public school with a single appropriation. Our program relies on you, local facilitators, counselors, and administrators, to be mindful about student enrollment to dedicate resources only where student success is likely. With that in mind, please note existing MTDA policies related to student enrollment:
- Please be mindful of prerequisites in courses. For example, MTDA language courses require passage of the A semester to take the B semester, no exceptions.
- Some students with a history of poor performance in our program may be limited in enrollments. If that is the case, it is noted in the “Notes” section of GeniusSIS. Please contact MTDA support if you wish to discuss program availability for that student.
- Please use entrance counseling forms with every student enrollment with a special focus on students that you suspect might struggle with the independent nature of online learning.
- Please review our student registration page for information on data collection, entrance counseling and student registration in the site facilitator handbook. That resource is located here: link.
- Registration for Spring 2017 courses opened on December 5, 2016. Please prioritize getting in known enrollments as soon as you can in the spring or late summer. We will again enforce our “guaranteed enrollment” deadline on January 18, 2017. We will guarantee placement for students enrolled on or before this date, but, will not add new sections after. Please plan your local enrollment around this deadline.
- Please use the enrollment counseling forms when enrolling students and give a copy of the form to the student after enrollment. This form helps decrease confusion on behalf of the student and their parents and opens up communication lines. Our enrollment counseling page is here: link.
- For all of our year-long courses, enrollment is by semester. For example, if you enroll a student in US History A Fall 2016, you need to enroll students in US History B.
- Our course list for 2016-2017 is here: link.
- Our 2016-2017 Academic Calendar is located here: link.
- Our 2016-2017 course catalog is located here: link.
- Important program changes:
- COURSES NOT AVAILABLE SPRING 2017: MTDA’s “Stepping Stones” courses will not be available Spring 2017, including Stepping Stones to Algebra I, Stepping Stones to Geometry, Stepping Stones to AP Psychology, Stepping Stones to AP English and Stepping Stones to AP Biology. Please contact MTDA staff to discuss potential alternatives if you intended to utilize this program.
- PROGRAM CHANGE: MTDA is retiring “Current Issues in Government” and replacing the course with two government options, one semester (the existing “American Government” course) and year long (the new “American Government Year Long A” and “American Government Year Long B”).
- PROGRAM CHANGE: MTDA will be adapting enrollment for the Computer Science: Joy and Beauty of Computing course, which is available for dual credit. UPON ENROLLMENT, you will choose between “Computer Science I: Joy and Beauty of Computing (High School Credit Only)” and “Computer Science I: Joy and Beauty of Computing (Dual Credit Only).” For students in the dual credit course, you will need to submit paperwork to Helena College by January 27, 2017 in order to continue in the course. Deadlines are firm!