Summer 2017 High School Original Credit Briefing
Counselors, Administrators and Site Facilitators
NOTE: As previously announced, enrollment is open on a contingency basis only as of 4/12/ 2017. Factors may change that impact availability or structure of offerings. The program described below is our best estimation of what will be available for this summer session based on the best funding information available at this time. If you have any questions, please contact the MTDA staff, 406-203-1812 or staff (at) montanadigitalacademy.org.
A notice to students and parents: This information is intended for distribution to public school districts and may contain details that do not apply to your local district’s program. If you are interested in enrolling in courses with Montana Digital Academy, your first contact should be to the counseling department or administration of your local school to discuss what is available locally.
Montana Digital Academy is pleased to announce open enrollment for its Summer 2017 program for high school original credit. Note: This information is accurate at the time of publication. We will make changes to this page as details change.
- Please review our student registration page for information on data collection, entrance counseling and student registration for Summer. That page is located here: link.
- Registration for Summer 2017 courses opens April 12, 2017. We will again enforce our “guaranteed enrollment” deadline on June 7, 2017. We will guarantee placement for students enrolled on or before this date, but, will not add new sections after. This deadline covers both summer sessions. Please plan your local enrollment around this deadline as we can offer no flexibility on these dates.
- Please use the enrollment counseling forms when enrolling students and give a copy of the form to the student after enrollment. This form helps decrease confusion on behalf of the student and their parents and opens up communication lines. Our enrollment counseling page is here: link. A quotation from one of our experienced facilitators in a past year… “I can’t believe how much easier the conversation is when I use the entrance counseling form!”
Summer Program Best Practices
- Students participating in the summer program must express interest and motivation to complete the summer course. To help conserve resources, MTDA asks that districts do not place students into MTDA summer programs that aren’t interested in the program or supported either at the school or at home. Please consider using tools like our student readiness survey to help determine if the student has enough support to succeed in an online course: link. Students that are not up and running during the first three days of the class will be dropped, no exception.
- Local schools should consider the availability of computer access in the homes of students taking courses. Students will need access to a computer for an average of 3-5 hours per course, per day, for original credit courses. As the lack of access will not modify course expectations or deadlines, we recommend that students secure multiple means of access.
- Due to the tight schedule of the summer session, students must start and stop courses on schedule, no exceptions. Local assistance may be required to help guarantee student success.
- Please be clear to students that this program is not designed to work around camps or vacations if the student is not able to work in each course for 3-5 hours per day. The significantly compressed schedule is not as forgiving as a typical semester format.
Important note for districts: Don’t hesitate to contact MTDA staff in Missoula if you want to walk through setting up a summer program for your students. We would love to chat with you about what you can expect and what you might consider setting up locally to help your students succeed!
Summer Course Availability:
- American Government Single Semester (1 Semester)
- American Government Full Year A (1 Semester)
- Earth Science A
- Biology A
- US History A
- Algebra I A
- Health (1 semester)
- English III A
- English IV A
- Personal Finance (1 semester)
- American Government Full Year B (1 Semester)
- Earth Science B
- Biology B
- US History B
- Algebra I B
- Digital Photography (1 semester)
- English III B
- English IV B
- Psychology (1 semester)
- Creative Writing (1 semester)
- Our Summer 2017 Academic Calendar is located here: link.
- Students will be expected to get started in courses as of the MTDA calendar, even if your local school is still in session. Starting a week or two late in the summer program is not an option due to the tight timelines. Please discuss this with interested students before enrollment.
- Our course catalog is located here: link.
- The drop deadline for the summer program is June 20 (session 1) and July 26 (session 2). We understand that most programs do not have summer staffing available to facilitate drops through our typical process. We will attempt to connect with programs that do have staffing, but, will otherwise drop at student/parent request.